- Transition «
Parties Recalibrate: Race
for DNC Chair
December 1, 2016
My Fellow DNC Members,
When I announced my campaign for DNC Chair, I laid out my vision for how to rebuild our Party. This afternoon, I presented that vision in detail to our Executive Directors. As each of you know, our Executive Directors are at the front lines in our effort to elect Democrats across America.
It was a great discussion. My plan is below; I look forward to discussing it with each of you tomorrow. As always, if you have any questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to call on me.
REBUILDING THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Moving toward 2018 and 2020 united as Democrats, we must reach out to every state, every community, and every voter and make sure everyone has a meaningful voice in our democracy. The DNC can no longer be a political organization looking for votes every two or four years; it must become a community organization working in our neighborhoods with grassroots activists addressing the day-to-day issues faced by middle and working class voters.
To do this successfully, Jaime will:
• Devote 100% of his time and energy to the job
• Invest in all 50 State Parties (plus those in the territories and Democrats Abroad) by increasing the State Partnership Program to $12,000 a month and easing restrictions on how that money is spent
• Provide State Parties with professional and specialized operations, capabilities, and in- kind services on a permanent basis through regional Caucus hubs, i.e., provide political, press, fundraising, and tech staff dedicated to serve state parties in each region
• Empower regional Caucuses through joint fundraising and candidate support efforts and ensure Caucuses have dedicated funds to support local candidates and efforts
• Work with the FEC and Congress to make sure that super PACs and other political organizations are held to the same standard as State Parties
• Build a deep bench of potential Democratic candidates who are connected to their communities on every level by supporting state and national political training fellowships modeled after South Carolina’s James E. Clyburn Political Fellowship
• Give young people a seat at the decision table by creating a Vice Chair position for those 35 and younger
• Spark a new wave of political technological innovation by creating a tech competition to address party eld and message outreach efforts
• Promote and invest in community-based activities and messaging modeled after SC Democrats Care
• Establish a surrogate program to assist states and local parties with securing Democratic speakers
• Host strategy and message coordination sessions with affliated groups from the DCCC and DSCC and DGA to DLCC and DMO
• Provide financial and legal assistance to State and Local Parties and legislators to stop gerrymandering and challenge gerrymandered districts in court
• Fight to end GOP voter suppression and make voting more convenient
• Push to get big money out of politics and cultivate small-dollar donors at the national, state, and local levels
• Support Democratic candidates up and down the ticket
As a State Party Chair in a red state, Jaime knows the struggles that each State Party encounters. He knows what it’s like to fight to keep the doors open, meet a payroll each month, and conduct effective party building efforts. As a full-time DNC Chair, Jaime will fully recommit the DNC to State and Local Parties because he knows that they are the ones who can reach voters where they are and show the voters that Democrats can improve their lives.
November 14, 2016
JAIME HARRISON ANNOUNCES RUN FOR DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE CHAIR
COLUMBIA, SC—Jaime Harrison, Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party, has announced that he will run for Chair of the Democratic National Committee. Harrison made the announcement tonight on The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.
“Donald Trump tapped into a feeling held my millions of Americans that they haven’t mattered to those elected to serve them,” said Harrison. “Tragically, the incoming Republican government won’t do anything to improve their lives, and Democrats must work tirelessly to limit the damage wrought, to ensure that complete Republican control lasts only 2 years, and to elect a Democratic president in 2020. But in order for us to be successful, all voters must know that they matter to us.
“With an unwavering focus on this vital goal, I am running to serve as Chair of the Democratic National Committee.”
Harrison, the son of a single mother, grew up in Orangeburg, South Carolina, and became the first in his family to graduate from both college and law school. He served on the staff of Congressman James E. Clyburn, helping him count votes when he was House Majority Whip.
“Moving toward 2018 and 2020 united as Democrats, we must reach out to every state, every community, and every voter,” Harrison emphasized. “Our values are American values, and our policy agenda will improve the lives of all Americans. Never again can we cast aside a voter as one Democrats don’t need. Because all voters need Democrats.”
As Chair, Harrison plans to invest in state parties and build the bench of Democratic candidates. In South Carolina, he pioneered the Clyburn Fellowship, which brings together dynamic young leaders from throughout the state to participate in a rigorous nine-month training program to prepare them to run for office, manage campaigns, and lead local parties. Harrison is committed to expanding similar programs nationwide to groom candidates who can speak to the concerns of their constituents and win where others have lost.”
“None of this will be easy,” Harrison predicted. “To lead our party to victory in 2018 and 2020, the DNC must have a Chair who will devote 100% of his or her time and energy to the task. Fighting Donald Trump’s Republican Party cannot be done on a part-time basis. I pledge to give my undivided attention to this enormous job.”
More information on Jaime and his priorities as Chair can be found at http://www.jaimefordncchair.com.
REBUILD THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Moving toward 2018 and 2020 united as Democrats, we must reach out to every state, every community, and every voter.
TO DO THIS SUCCESSFULLY JAIME WILL:
- Invest in all 50 state parties (plus those in the territories and Democrats Abroad) to provide them with professional and specialized operations and capabilities on a permanent basis by increasing SPP to $12,000 a month and providing in-kind services
- Build a deep bench of potential Democratic candidates who are connected to their communities on every level by supporting state and national political training fellowships
- Give young people a seat at the decision table by creating a Vice Chair position for those 35 and younger
- Spark a new wave of political technological innovation by creating a tech competition to address Party eld and message outreach e orts
- Empower regional Caucuses through joint fundraising and candidate support e orts
- Promote and invest in community-based activities and messaging
- Support Democratic candidates up and down the ticket
- Cultivate small-dollar donors at the national, state, and local levels
- Devote 100% of his time and energy to the job.
RESIST DONALD TRUMP’S REPUBLICAN AGENDA
With complete Republican control of government over the next two years, our country risks the reversal of the progress we have made under President Obama. As Chair, Jaime will galvanize the grassroots to fight against harmful GOP proposals and will draw stark distinctions so that all Americans will understand what we have to lose from Republican policies and what we have to gain by electing Democrats.
Jaime will join with Democratic elected officials and candidates to fight for our progressive platform:
- Affordable, high-quality education from pre-K through college and job training
- An economy that works for everyone, with a higher minimum wage and protections for workers
- End the demonization of unions and unionized workers
- Health care that is a right, not a privilege
- Comprehensive immigration reform that builds on our strength as a nation of immigrants
- A responsible foreign policy that protects our national security
- Investing in clean energy jobs to provide opportunity and protect the planet
REINVIGORATE OUR DEMOCRACY
Our system deviates far too much from the essential democratic principle of one person, one vote. As Chair, Jaime will fight to overcome antiquated processes, self-interested politicians, and big money so that every American has an equal voice in our democracy.
To achieve this goal, Jaime will be the leading advocate to:
- End voter suppression – Jaime will fight antidemocratic GOP measures and tactics that make it harder to vote for no legitimate purpose.
- Get big money out of politics – Under Citizens United and other misguided court decisions, our elections are dominated by undisclosed and unaccountable money. Jaime will fight to return our democracy to the people so that everyone has an equal voice, regardless of how much money you have.
- Stop gerrymandering – Politicians and party bosses are picking their voters instead of voters picking their elected officials. This is unhealthy for democracy and governance. Jaime will fight to establish fair districting processes in all jurisdictions.